Stock Tank Pool for Kids, Toddlers and Babies
Introduce your Children to Swimming Early with a Galvanized Stock Tank Pool
If you are looking for a great way to introduce your children to swimming, a Stock Tank Pool may be the best bet! Stock Tank Pools have been increasingly growing in popularity due to inexpensive set-up and maintenance. Instead of blowing your paycheck on a new pool, opt for a Stock Tank Pool instead.
If you want to introduce your little ones to the water, Galvanized Stock Tanks might be a better option then going the route of those cheesy kid pools you buy at Target or Amazon. There are many reasons why the Galvanized Stock Tanks beat out the plastic, blow up kid pools you can buy at your local store, so lets jump right in!
Stock Tank Pools Vs. Blow Up Kid Pools
Why do Blow Up Kid Pools Suck?
The blow up kiddie pools you can buy almost anywhere are a waste of time, money and energy. When you get your blow up kid pool set up, the kids jump in and everyone starts to have fun right? Well maybe for the first couple of days until the dog jumps in and punctures a hole in the plastic or anything else happens to the pool and it pops. It has happened to us already three times. We are over the blow up kid pools and will never waste our money again. The biggest problem with the blow up pools is that the pliable sides sag and cause drowning/ suffocation (
- Timley set-up
- Blow up kid pools pop easily
- Some of them are not BPA FREE
- Blow up kid pools attract more bugs and mold
- Pliable sides sag and cause drowning/ suffocation
- No Options for Pool Covers
The Dangers of Blow Up Kid Pools:
The biggest danger of blow up kid pools are the fact that most of them are not BPA free. When the blow up kid pools sit in the heat all day with water, the heat penetrates the plastic and leaches BPA chemicals into the water which in tune getting into your child’s skin. Even worse, if you children puts their face under the water and they consume any of this water, that is all bad. If you are going the plastic kid pool route, check out this article on BPA Free pools and EA free pools for kids, found here.
Why are Stock Tank Pools better for Kids?
Stock Tank Pools are better for kids for a wide variety of reasons. Being that Galvanized Stock Tanks are BPA free and do not leach any harming chemicals into your child, that is a great reason to start. Also, Stock Tank Pools for kids offer the ability to insert vinyl pool liners which can be sucked down and meshed to give the stock tank a more comfortable feel. When it comes to safety, with a blow up kid pool, there are no cover options, with a galvanized stock tank, you can get custom covers made. Finally, Galvanized stock tanks last much longer and are much more durable then a blow up kid pool or plastic kid pool.
- Stock Tank Pools last longer (much more durable)
- They don’t have chemicals
- Better safety options with a cover
- No Set-Up (just fill it up with water and go)
- They come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes
- They can be customized with heat to give mom and dad a hot tub option
The Dangers of Stock Tank Pools:
The only big danger was an occasional banged elbow or head on the edge. This can also be mitigated by installing a sheet of vinyl pool liner in your stock tank pool. You can find vinyl pool liner replacements and and order them in a wide variety of sizes. Just search “vinyl pool liner replacement” and add whatever size stock tank you have. You will get wide variety of search results pointing you in the right direction.
What Size Stock Tank Pool should you get for your kid?
Depending on how old your child is will depend on how large of stock tank you want to purchase. If you have a 6 month old child, you obviously do not need to buy a 8′, 10′ or 11′ stock tank. Galvanized Stock Tanks come in many different shapes and sizes.
We started our daughter out with a very small manageable 4′ stock tank.
The 4′ Stock Tank Pool was great start!
- 4′ Round 136 Gallon Stock Tank
- Width: 42-1/4″ – Four Feet
- Height: 23-1/2″ – Two Feet
The drain plug is located 1-1/2″ from the bottom so it was very easy to drain the pool if and when we needed to.
Below is a basic overview and outline of your child’s age and what stock tank pool is perfect for them.
- Galvanized Round Stock Tank, 3 ft. x 2 ft. 80 Gallon (Ages 6 Months+)
- Galvanized Round Stock Tank, 4 ft. x 2 ft. 165 Gallon (Ages 9 Months+)
- Galvanized Round Stock Tank, 5 ft. x 2 ft. 275 Gallon (Ages 12 Months+)
- Galvanized Round Stock Tank, 6 ft. x 2 ft. 390 Gallon (Ages 18 Months+)
- Galvanized Round Stock Tank, 7 ft. x 2 ft. 560 Gallon (Ages 24 Months+)
- Galvanized Round Stock Tank, 8 ft. x 2 ft. 625 Gallon (Ages 2 Years+)
- Galvanized Round Stock Tank, 9 ft. x 2 ft. 920 Gallon (Ages 3-10 Years+)
- Galvanized Round Stock Tank, 10 ft. x 2 ft. 1000 Gallon (Ages 5-10 Years+)
- Galvanized Round Stock Tank, 11 ft. x 2 ft. 1400 Gallon (Ages 7-10 Years+)
Keep in mind, this is just what I would recommend and am not an expert and child pool safety at all. Our 18 Month old daughter pushing two years extremely fast is in a 5′ stock tank pool and she loves it. So again, do not quote me on this and use your best judgement.
Stock Tank Pool Safety Tip: Slice a water noodle down the middle and line them on top of the edges to prevent head injuries.
How to clean your Kids Stock Tank Pool?
Previously, we wrote a post on DIY Stock Tank Pools and in that post, we have information on filtration systems and how to maintain your stock tank pool. From sand filtration systems to salt water stock tank pool systems, there are many options. Depending on the location of your stock tank pool, how much you or your little ones will be using it will depend on which system we would recommend.
Options for maintaining your kids Stock Tank Pool
- Sand Filter Filtration System
- Sand Filter Water Pump
- Salt Water Stock Tank Pool System
- Bromine Tablets
- Chlorine Tablets
- Pool Shock
- Manually cleaning
If you have any questions, please comment below and not through our contact form. Many people that contact us through our contact form have them same questions, so if those questions answered below, that will help everyone.